Join Our Community of Over 16,000!




Design Bloc & DesignBloc is a Registered Trademark with the United States of America Trademark & Patent Office under Design Bloc LLC. All violators will be addressed and notified.

The Design Bloc is a 100% Female Black-Owned Business:  SUPPORT OUR VISION


Join our community of over 16K people and be first to know about our new projects, products, additions to our services, news, project highlights and more.

©2020 The Design Bloc® All Rights Reserved.  |  EST. 2014  |  A Company and Trademark of Design Bloc LLC  

Do Architects and Boy Bands Mix?

Saturday, June 24, 2017


This week, the latest Summer TV Series called Boy Band debuted. "Boy Band" is a new series where young singers battle it out to become a member of the next great music sensation. Viewers at home will be allowed to vote for their favorite five band members, live, creating a group in the end. 


Okay, so that's the overview, but what we really wanted to get at is that something truly disturbing was occurring throughout the show...Something we just can't bring ourselves to get over.


These 4 celebrity judges are being referred to as Architects!!!!

Yes, Architects!


Now you're probably saying...CALM DOWN, and wondering why this gets us so upset? "Architect is a cool word, and it shows that they are the Creators of the band...let them do it."


NO, NO, NO! Only if it were that easy to let go of it...


The major beef comes from everyone wanting to call themselves Architects: Software gurus, Engineers, now this!? Many may not know it, but Architects (building designers) have it hard out there. It takes a lot of steps to receive the coveted title. According to the AIA (American Institute of Architects) it's totally illegal to call yourself an Architect without the requirements below. 



The Breakdown:


Most states require a professional degree in architecture: a Bachelor or Master of Architecture. This process varies between 3-7 years.



All states require that you work under a supervising Architect. This process of acquiring the necessary credits to complete your license roughly estimates around 2-3 years.



You’ll also need to pass the ARE. The ARE consists of 7 exams all which are very challenging. You will need to complete all of the exams within 5 years. If not, you need to start over. Yes, start over.



Once you pass the exams and complete the experience requirement, you can register for a license. That costs approximately $200-$500 a year for the stamp and continuing education. 


Until Then, Architecture Graduates are licensed they are called "Interns", "Designers", "Architectural Designers" or if they are lucky -- "Architectural Designers." This can go on for people that are well into their 40's! 


Now get our frustrations?


I wonder how long the AIA will allow ABC to use this term? Only time will tell...


How do you feel about this? Let us know!


Please reload

Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Please reload

The Archive
Please reload

Please reload